Had a blighted ovum and started bleeding. Is this normal for a miscarriage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I found out 3 weeks ago I had a blighted ovum. About a week ago I started bleeding its about a pad a day. And a few clots but nothing big. I've had abit of pain but nothing I can't handle. Is this normal for a miscarriage?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 37 minutes later

You didn't mention whether you undergone termination of pregnancy and by which method etc.
Usually in case of blighted ovum, if the gestational age is more than 8 weeks better to undergo D&C to remove the of products of conception as medical abortion can lead to some retained products.
So if you undergone medical abortion and still having clots better to go for ultrasound once to rule out the possibility of retained products.
Or if you undergone D&C, some amount of spotting and pain are common for around one week after the procedure.
But if you are having continuous bleeding with clots, go for ultrasound which can detect the possibility of retained products.
Depending on the ultrasound report further treatment can be taken.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had a blighted ovum and started bleeding. Is this normal for a miscarriage? 4 minutes later
I haven't had any medical procedures as the doctor recommended natural miscarriage due to the fact I've been spotting on and off for the whole duration that I knew I was pregnant. The gestational sac only measured 6 weeks 4 days. With no yolk sac.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later

Natural abortion sometimes can happen completely and sometimes it can remain as incomplete.
As you are having continuous bleeding for one week better to undergo ultrasound once as it can confirm the completion of process of abortion and also can rule out the possibility of any retained products.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had a blighted ovum and started bleeding. Is this normal for a miscarriage? 40 hours later
I ended up in emergency yesterday and the training gyno did a removal of the pregnancy products whilst I was laying in the bed at emergency. She said she took out the gestational sac and tissue and was confident that she got all of it that was stuck in my cervix. She didn't give me much information about what I should feel afterwards. Is it normal to still be bleeding like a period sometimes abit heavier and still have some mild- moderate cramping at times ?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later

After completion of D&C you can have minimal bleeding and mild cramping for around one week to ten days.
But if you are having heavy bleeding and pain better to take drugs like anti-fibrinolytics and antispasmodics for two to three days with your doctor's advice.