Ask a Urologist   »  

Had a bladder biopsy, bled clots afterwards. Had an arm exercise, no cancer, Emergency anyway?

My 73 year old Dad had a bladder biopsy 8 days ago. He bled somewhat afterwards. The past 24 hours had been clear, then now he has had about 8 episodes of blood clots in a 6 hour period. He called the doctor that was on call and he said to come in if he couldn't urinate but until then drink plenty of water. I am worried that he should not wait two days for his appointment. His tests said no cancer. He did do some arm exercises this morning, maybe this caused this. How long do we wait to go to Emergency Room. Do we really wait until he can't urinate, or is there something that should be done before then? I'm assuming they wouldn't do anything until he couldn't urinate? This is Saturday night and he has an appointment Monday, although I'm worried how long do we wait?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 22 minutes later

Bleeding in the urine is possible post a bladder biopsy and heavy activity may have caused it. Your father needs to drink plenty of water so that the blood which is getting passed in the urine gets diluted. In most of the patients the bleeding shall stop by itself and nothing needs to be done.

However, if a patient starts passing big clots in the urine or is not able to pass urine, then there is a reason to worry and he/she needs to go to emergency room. I believe that your father is passing clots, which is a reason for concern. I would suggest that he visit the emergency room now instead of waiting for a condition where he is unable to pass urine. Not being able to pass urine is a sign that he has bled a lot and is not able to void because clots are blocking the passage.

I hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for follow up queries.