Had a bad fall. Got wound on the tongue and spinning head sensation when laying down. Required treatment?

Nov 2013

Hi, I had a bad fall over a week ago and I have 2 issues, the 1st is that I have a bad wound to my tongue that is over an inch long and about 3mm deep, the pain and swelling have subsided, however the gash is still there, is this likely to heal? the second is that everytime I lie down quickly my head spins very fast, this has got a little better as before I could not turn to the right or left without feeling sick. I am abroad at the moment and cant go to the doctors for another week. My main worry is the tongue if it heals with this slit, is there a way to open it again and reseal or will this now be permanent? Many thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Regarding the first query, the wound on the tongue would heal in a proper manner, and the chances of slit remaining is very less. However, even if it happens that way, it can be surgically corrected by a plastic surgeon.

Secondly, you had what is called post-traumatic vertigo (head spinning, dizziness) due to head injury. It is self-limiting in nature and you would recover to complete normalcy in a week or two.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog: