Had a Miscarriage.What pre cautions to take, how many days rest, diet , things to avoid ?

Mar 2016

I had a Miscarriage on 06 XXXXXXX 2013, of 2 months 20 days as my last LMP was on 19 March 2013, want to know what all pre cautions do i need to take, how many days rest, diet , things to avoid and all..??
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am so sorry for your pregnancy loss.

Miscarriage is quite common during early weeks of pregnancy especially in patients with uterine TB. You need to take complete treatment with ATD (anti tubercular drug) & other supportive therapy before planning for next pregnancy.

In case of natural miscarriage, bleeding may continue from few days to 1 week and D & C (surgical method) is carried out to arrest bleeding and complete the abortion procedure. You can consult with gynecologist regarding this.

a) You would have to wait at least one cycle before planning for baby or until your period is regularized.
b) After initial recovery, you can undergo some preliminary investigation like hormonal tests (progesterone assay, thyroid profile), TORCH infection profile, tests for uterine TB, blood sugar, pelvic ultrasound, etc., to rule out possible pathology which needs to be treated properly.
c) In case of intense pain, offensive discharge & temperature, you need to consult with doctor for proper treatment.
d) You can take Vit-E, Iron & Folic acid supplements for at least 3 months in preconception period.
e) Maintain genital hygiene properly and take sound sleep. Wear only clean & cotton underwear.

2) REST: Resolution time of miscarriage can range from few days to months. But one week of bed rest is essential for recovery. Emotional attachment & depression are also to be reduced gradually over the time before next planning.

3) DIET: It should be easy digestible healthy diet with more protein content & vegetables. Drink plenty of water/fluids and keep your bowel habit regular.

a) Sexual intercourse should be avoided till bleeding stops to avoid infection.
b) Too much genital wiping or vaginal douching/ inserting foreign objects.
c) Heavy work/ long journey/ uneven surface/ high heal shoe in early weeks.
d) Mental stress/ emotion upset by regular meditation/ deep breathing exercise.
e) Heavy exercise, lifting heavy objects, non-prescribed medication etc.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Had a Miscarriage.What pre cautions to take, how many days rest, diet , things to avoid ? 1 hour later
i had a miscarriage in a natural way on 05 morning & also the D & C is done on 5th eve, i travelled from Varanasi to Delhi on 07th XXXXXXX bleeeding was very light, and it was for 4 days after D & C, i had a very Normal Pain is it Ok..??. when can i expect my next period .?. Normally how much time it would take for XXXXXXX recovery..?, would there be any problem in conceiving again.?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up queries.

1) Mild pain is quite common following D & C and it is quite normal thing. Here, you have nothing to worry.

2) Usually period will resume within 4-6 weeks following natural miscarriage or D & C (surgical procedure).

3) Miscarriage in early week of pregnancy may take one week to months for complete XXXXXXX recovery.

4) In most case, we do not find any problem in conceiving after complete recovery from miscarriage.

Be well & stay healthy. If you do not have any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Dr Soumen.