Had a CT scan and X ray done for chronic UTI. Kidneys retaining water. How can I help kidneys?

I had a ct scan and x raysdone because of chronic uti. The Dr called me back and referred me to a urologist because he said the scan showed my kidneys were retaining water. The urologist appt is a month and a half away. What could cause this problem? Is there anything I should be doing to help my kidneys?
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the information you have submitted it looks like your kidneys are having some difficulty in getting urine into the bladder. We refer to this as urinary obstruction. Sometimes the CT scanned or x-rays can show some changes in the kidneys which indicate that there may be some type of obstruction going on.

sometimes there can be some narrowing in the tube which carries urine from the kidneys to the bladder. This can be caused by scar formation or possibly bite kidney stones.

It is an excellent idea for you to visit with a urologist for a focused consultation and examination to decide what can be done next. Sometimes a special procedure can be done in order to open the tubes which care he urine from the kidney to the bladder. Sometimes a tiny metal stent maybe placed an order to help keep the tubes open.

At this point I would not change anything about your daily activities. I would continue to eat a healthy and well balanced diets. I would not drink excessive amounts of fluids as that is really not necessary at this time.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

Dr. Robert