Had a CT scan. What could a mildly heterogeneous appearance of the pancreas in region of head mean?

Apr 2014

What could a Mildly heterogeneous appearance of the pancreas in the region of the head and uncinate process which is most likely on the basis of ductules in this region and surrounding vascular structure mean? Just had a CT today. It was part of my 6 mo check up for having my left kidney removed because of tumor(5cm Zero margin). I don't see my doctor for another two weeks. And I am curious.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be focal pancreatitis etc.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

According to USG report,Pancreas is heterogeneous in echotexture(normally it is homogeneous in echotexture) in head and uncinate process.
Pancreas has many ductules in it . Main duct is called as main pancreatic duct.Many lesions arises from small ducts called as ductules. These ductules are basically connected from acinus which are site of production of secretions from pancreas.
Surrounding vascular structure means blood vessels around pancreas.
It is good that radiologist didn't mentioned definitely about any mass.It would be more serious.
Any way,lesion will be confirmed by CT Scan.
Heterogeneous echotexture may be due to various reasons like focal pancreatitis in head and uncinate process.This condition needs further confirmation by blood parameters.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care