Had a C-section. Have a bad infection. Was on wound vac. Since then have numbness in thigh. What is wrong?

Neurologist
Question
9 years ago i had a c section, a few days later i got a very bad infection and they had to open me back up. i was realeased a week later and put on a woound vac for two months. ever since then i have numbness in my upper left thigh and when i get up to walk it feels like it's giving out and stiff. what is this and is there help for it, also when i lay in it it is numb
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the information provided to me it looks to you have a neuropathy in the left upper thigh. Compression, inflammation, trauma or diseases of the sciatic nerve or lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh (meralgia paresthetica) can cause numbness, pain and rarely stiffness. Causes of meralgia paresthetica are obesity, trauma, including surgical injury, tight clothing, such as a heavy equipment belt and Diabetes.

During the surgery, it's possible you were placed in a position that put pressure and compressed the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. Usually symptoms improve over a period of time. Other possible causes are slip disc in the lower back compressing the roots supplying the nerves of the thigh.

So I personally feel you are probably suffering from meralgia paresthetica due to compression injury of the cutaneous nerve of the thigh. Only a good neurological examination is required to confirm the diagnosis of meralgia paresthetica. However, an MRI of the lower back or nerve conduction testing may be helpful if the cause is not clear after your doctor performs a physical exam.

Treatment includes removing or avoiding compression of the cutaneous nerve by loosing excess weight and wearing loose clothing. Medications like gabapentin, carbamazepine and amitriptyline can lessen the nerve irritation. Physiotherapy can lessen the stiffness around the thigh and would be of benefit to you.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Had a C-section. Have a bad infection. Was on wound vac. Since then have numbness in thigh. What is wrong? 1 hour later
since it's been a long period of time will the medication help

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 24 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Medications will help only if you have nerve irritation symptoms like pain, pins and needles sensation. It will not benefit numbness and loss of sensation. So I advise you to use medicines if you disabling symptoms. Otherwise strengthening exercising for the back and the limbs would be sufficient at this point of time.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist