Had a C-section 5 months back, 5 weeks pregnant now. Want to abort. Chances of uterine rupture ?

Question
i am pregnant now they say 5 weeks i want to abort since its only 5 months of my c section. i gave my blood tests after seeing reports they toid they will give me the tablet
what is unscarred uterus .are there any chances of uterine rupture since its only 5 months of my operation i got my tvs scan they did not complain anything of my previous c section stitches should i ask my doctor regarding that?
if i change the hospital will the other doctors know the condition of my stitches?
how will the abortion process go,like the symptoms which are common after the process
and the symptoms which are rare and i have see the doctors immediately
i am very concerned with chances of uterine rupture
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 3 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I don't think there will be any complications. At 5 weeks embryo still hasn't grown much. It's about 0.05 inches long. As mentioned, you have undergone c section 5 month back and scar will be healed by this time and even ultrasound has not shown any abnormality.

Question of rupture emerges, when you have completed 9 month and trying for normal delivery, as you have previous history of c section.

You can take the tablet prescribed by your doctor for abortion. I advice you not to take the tablet without the supervision of the doctor.

After the consumption of tablet within 8 hour bleeding will start. Approximately 90% of women will have a complete abortion within 24 hours of using the drug.

Side effects - Abdominal cramping and bleeding are hallmarks of the abortion process itself. Others like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and chills.

I advice you to consult doctor if the heavy bleeding continues for 5 to 6 days and fever begins more than 6 to 8 hours after the administration of last drug.

Fifteen days later, you should go to the doctor for an evaluation to make sure the abortion is complete. Completion is often clinically evident, but sometimes an ultrasound is necessary for confirmation.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Had a C-section 5 months back, 5 weeks pregnant now. Want to abort. Chances of uterine rupture ? 7 hours later
i have back ache since 5 days not exactly back ache i think muscle strain if i move my right hand i am feeling discomfort in my back on the right side only i get the pain with the movement of my hand and while lying down and getting up also this has anything to do with the abortion?i still have it
i used uvox tablets sine i went to depression after delivery i used it for 20 days and stopped it has been 10 to 15 days since i stopped the tablet will this effect the abortion
i still get very very very light pain near my stitches at times only?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 12 hours later
Hello madam

Great to hear from you.

I think the backache and pain in the hand are not related to your c section.

You are very anxious and trying to relate most of the symptoms to c section. For the back ache and pain over the counter pain killers will be helpful.

Have you consulted the prescribing doctor before stopping the uvox tablet, if not i advice you consult the doctor.

Regarding the abortion have taken those pills, if yes along with the bleeding you will also get cramping pain sometimes radiating to back.

I advice you to relax and discuss with your close ones come to decision. By your given in information you should not have any problem related to stitches presently.

If you are not planning to be pregnant i advice you to use one or the other method of contraception.

Hope i have provided the information you needed.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had a C-section 5 months back, 5 weeks pregnant now. Want to abort. Chances of uterine rupture ? 2 hours later
i went to the doctor today she told we will go with evacuation because if tablets does not work or it will leave some tissue again we have to go with this evacuation, this will take 2 weeks as we have to wait until rescan to declare whether the tablet has worked completely or not process only
so we will go for evacuation so that the process will be done at once
and also u have a tender scar this is much safer than tablets
they r going to perform this under general anesthesia
what is evacuation what will they do, is it safe?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

After you have taken the pills, around 15 th day scan is done to confirm whether the abortion is complete or not, if there are signs of incomplete abortion the products of conception should be removed by other means like Dilation and evacuation.

Dilatation and evacuation is usually done in the second 12 week of pregnancy. In here cervix is dilated and products are evacuated from uterus.

Dilation and evacuation is a safe and effective method. Usually takes 30 minutes. It is usually done in a hospital but does not require an overnight stay.

I advice you to speak with the consulting clinician and clear your doubts, you will be fine. In case of incomplete abortion you have to go for D and E, so to prevent any such things i think they are going for D and E.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.