Had West Nile and went to coma. Had paralysis and regained except leg. Had physical therapy and acupuncture

Nov 2013

I was diagnosed with West Nile last July. I went into a coma for three days and when I woke my entire body was pararlyzed. I have since regained usage of all my body parts ecept for my right leg. I have drop foot and I cannot extend my leg, therefor I am unable to walk. I have been in physical therapy for a year and while it has helped my body, it does nothing for my leg. I have been to acupuncture and believe that I gained the ability to slide my leg up because of it. Please help. I have heard of nerve reconstruction and hope this is an option for me.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that you have not completely recovered from the effects of the infection, however, I am glad that you have recovered quite a bit, looking at the initial severity of the illness.

Physical therapy and spontaneous recovery does continue for upto two years after the onset of paralysis, however, I agree with you that we may have to look at alternative avenues.

Options for you include nerve transfer, rather than nerve reconstruction. This can be ascertained after a detailed nerve conduction studies and electromyography (NCV/EMG). In nerve transfer, a good nerve is used to move the paralyzed muscle, by a surgery.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,