Ask a Urologist   »  

Had Vasovasostomy. Noticed lump at the incision site. Painful to touch. Should I be concerned?

Hi, I´m a healthy 52 years old male. 26 days ago I had a vasovasostomy without complications. I follow doctors care instructions and resumed sexual activity two weeks after the operation.
About a week ago I noticed a marble size lump right below the right side incision, I consulted my doctor and he said that there probably was a leakage of sperms at that site and that the body reacted to the sperm walling it off in order to eliminate the foreign bodies. I understand this is a sperm granuloma. I had a few ejaculations since my doctor's visit. The lump has diminished in size a bit but is a little painful to the touch. He said we had to wait for the swelling to go down, in terms of treatment he only recomended I apply ice at the site.
Is there anything I should be concerned? is this a sign my reversal will not be succesful? how should I treat the lump? will having intercourse make it worst? thank you
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 10 hours later
Dear Sir,

As correctly pointed out by yourself, the localized swelling is sperm granuloma.
The chances of the success of the vasectomy reversal have come down considerably with the formation of sperm granuloma as the healing shall take place with fibrosis and thus possibility of the blockage of the lumen.

There is nothing much you can do about the lump; keep on applying ice packs and it shall subside by itself over the next few weeks.

Having intercourse shall not make it worst. Continue your sexual life.

Take care; all the best.

Rajiv Goel
Follow-up: Had Vasovasostomy. Noticed lump at the incision site. Painful to touch. Should I be concerned? 24 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Goel,
Thank you for your answer. My left side incision is healing very nicely... can the reversal still be succesful with only one repaired vas?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 38 minutes later
Dear sir,

Certainly. A lot of surgeons will do only one side reversal at a time and the patient may not require the other side at all.

Rajiv Goel