Ask a Urologist   »  

Had UTI, took two different antibiotics to clear. Still have frequent urination and urine test showed high leukocytes

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I had a stubborn UTI which took two different antibiotics to clear, but I finally had a normal lab repost. I still have frequent urination problems and I took a home urine test which showed high in leukocytes and normal nitrates. What is wrong with me? I am 65 in perfect health otherwise.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You have severe UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
You have severe urine analysis shows plenty of leukocytes (Pus Cells), then this suggests presence of active UTI. In such case, I recommend my patients to get urine culture and sensitivity test - this will help me isolate the causative organisms and decide the right antibiotic.

You can ask your doctor to write request for urine culture and sensitivity test, that will guide you to the right treatment. In addition, it is worthwhhile to consult a qualified urologist for clinical examination and to rule out Post menopausal Bladder Neck stenosis which is common at this age and is a prime cause for getting frequent episodes of UTI .

Ensure to drink more water to keep your urine dilute.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Had UTI, took two different antibiotics to clear. Still have frequent urination and urine test showed high leukocytes 43 minutes later
Thank you. I will take a urine specimen to my doctor tomorrow. My big worry is interstitial cystitis.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It does not look to be interstitial cystitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up. In absence of severe pain while urinating it does not look to be Interstitial Cystitis. Please go ahead and take antibiotics as per culture report.
It will be cured within 2 weeks.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Had UTI, took two different antibiotics to clear. Still have frequent urination and urine test showed high leukocytes 10 hours later
I am headed to my dr and still worried about IC. Doesn't the fact that I am 65 make that less likely as well? I know the mean age is about 40.
Well my culture was clear, but I do have volvitis? What are your thoughts. Could that be causing my problems?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not Interstitial Cystitis.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for fresh query.

Most probably you have UTI secondary to what is called as Post menopausal Bladder neck stenosis.
If you are getting repeated episodes of UTI I would advise you to consult qualified Urologist and have cystoscopic evaluation and calibration of urethra done.

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.