Ask a Urologist   »  

Had UTI infection. Still having urgency feeling and inflammation. Is it Interstitial Cystitis?

Oncologist
Question
I had a UTI infection. The first med we tried did not work. The second med worked, and my are normal. I still have the urgency feeling. My Dr. says I still have some inflammation and says I should take anti-inflammatory for a week. I am scared that I have Interstitial Cystitis. I am 65 and have no other health issues. Does it make since that my bladder could still be inflamed?
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 57 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is an excellent question. A bladder infection or urine.

I think in your case it is reasonable to proceed with anti-inflammatory medication for about one or two weeks. If the symptoms persist a repeat urinalysis would be indicated. Your doctor might then send you to see a specialist such as a urologist.

Most of the time these symptoms will slowly resolve overtime.

I would encourage you to follow the advice of your primary care physician. Try the anti-inflammatory medication for a few days to see how things go. If symptoms get worse or no better within about 7 to 10 days follow-up would be indicated.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Had UTI infection. Still having urgency feeling and inflammation. Is it Interstitial Cystitis? 24 hours later
I am much improved already. I have cut out all wine, coffee, spices etc. When and how can I begin to add them beck to my diet? Also, can I expect this to totally heal?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello again.

I am glad you're feeling better. You can expect your bladder to completely heal from this issue. It may take a few more days but I am confident that this will occur.

Regarding your diet modifications you can slowly add these things back to your diet in about 7 to 10 days.

Thanks again for sending your question. I can am very happy and encouraged that you're feeling better.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Had UTI infection. Still having urgency feeling and inflammation. Is it Interstitial Cystitis? 2 days later
It seems I have had a set back and am looking for some encouragement. I was feeling better, but now the constant urge has returned. Have you seen things like this before and do people usually get better. I am 65, have no health problems and have never had anything like this before. I did not cut out caffeine or wine until about a week ago. I did not know I needed to. I am thinking that must have irritated by bladder along wiht the UTI which took a while to resolve, but is now normal. I need some reassurance that I will get back to normal.
I am really nervous about having IC. on the plus side I understand it usually starts in your40s and I do not have any of the risk factors like auto immune disease or bladder injury.

Also, is there anything else I can do to help my recovery?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 hours later
The best thing to promote your recovery is to stay very well hydrated.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga