Ask a Urologist   »  

Had UTI. Was given Cipro. Had UA and UC, where UA showed trace of blood and leukocytes. Suggestions?

Hi, I'm a 28 year old female who recently had a UTI and was given a 7 day course of Cipro, on day 3 I returned to my GP for a follow up & repeat UA & UC. UC was negative but the results of the UA were trace blood, trace leukocyte, WBC of 17 (RBC/ HPF was 4), and moderate amount of bacteria. should I be worried about these results? My GP wants to repeat. Did I test too soon? Could I still have remnants of the UTI after being on antibiotics for three days? Should I push for a cystoscopy? I also had a CT & MRI of the abdomen & pelvis, both bladder and kidneys were noted as unremarkable. Should I be concerned about bladder CA?
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 24 hours later
Welcome to the forum.
I think you have done urine analysis a little too early.
Normally, i repeat only the UC and if negative, i do not worry.
Since CT and MRI are normal, i do not find any need to rush for cystoscopy.
The cause for RBC in urine is this situation is infection. So the chance of having cancer is very negligible mainly because the CT and MRI are normal.
Protocol in western countries is to do cystoscopy to rule out cancer, because early cancers are curable and hence the health care system does not want their citizens to detect when the cancer is advanced.
Hope you understand why cystoscopy is insisted in such situations.
best regards