Ask a Urologist   »  

Had UTI. Urine dipstick now positive for leucocytes but negative for nitrites. Is UTI still present?

Diagnosed 2 weeks ago with UTI. Culture grew E. Coli and Klebsiella. took macrodantin twice daily for one week. Still continue with frequency. voiding every 1 1/2 to 3 hours. Urine dipstick used at home now shows positive for 70+ leukocytes but negative nitrites. Is the uti still probably present. Thank You. Had TAH-BSO 7/3/12
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 48 minutes later

Yes. Your suspicion is right infection is still present.

Though nitrites are negative, there are definite chances of persistent UTI.

History of UTI, persistence of symptoms and presence of leukocytes are in favor of persistent UTI.

At times the antibiotics are required for longer period depending upon the infection load.

Please do not ignore this and get in touch with your treating physician for further medication and advice.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Had UTI. Urine dipstick now positive for leucocytes but negative for nitrites. Is UTI still present? 51 minutes later
On the culture and sensitivity there is an "I" listed for macrodantin for treatment of klebsiella Could I need a different antibiotic? Thank You
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

"I" stands for intermediate. Means the antibiotic is moderately effective against the organisms.

Your doctor will might decide to change the antibiotic as you have not responded fully.

Please visit your doctor.