Had Transurethral prostatectomy. Has trouble maintaining erection and little ejaculation. Told to scrape enlarged prostate. Suggest?

My husband had a Transurethral prostatectomy over 2 years ago. He has trouble maintaining an erection and even "getting one" sometimes. Also, his ejaculation is either a small amount or none at all. The dr. told him he had to "scrape" his enlarged prostate a lot. His problem was LUTS. Our sex life is practically non- existent. Just recently, he gets a pre-ejaculation substance in his shorts for seemingly no reason at all. All of a sudden, he'll say: "I'm dripping something". What is this? HELP!
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
complications:retrograde ejaculation/impotence

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank yo so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your husband has been experiencing and the impact it has had on your sex life. I know it must be difficult for you just like it would be for a majority of people out there.

As I mentioned, these are complications of surgery.

Dry orgasm(small amount or little volume). Prostatectomy causes retrograde ejaculation, which means the semen released during sexual climax (ejaculation) enters your bladder rather than exiting the penis. It isn't harmful and generally doesn't affect sexual pleasure, but it can interfere with your ability to father a child if you are in need of a child. It occurs in about 75% of men who undergo this procedure.

Erectile dysfunction(getting and maintaining an erection). In some cases, open simple prostatectomy causes erectile dysfunction — the inability to maintain an erection firm enough to have sex. Erectile function can improve over time, but in some men it's permanent. Also, his diabetes and hypertension can contribute to this and make it worse.

From the above explanations, these are all complications of the procedure he underwent. They are known and often clients are counseled of the possible short and long term complications. However, it is still advisable to undergo this procedure because the advantages outmatch these consequences.

The dripping substance is called a pre-ejaculate. It is relatively common and by itself does not indicate any troubling pathology. It is all about how well the individual learns to control his ejaculation.

I am sorry for this. I know it sounds devastating but the XXXXXXX of having treated his prostate problem should comfort you and give you both a reason to be thankful and glad. At times, we don't get all in life!

Hope this helps and addresses your query fully. If you have more concerns, please, ask me and I will address them. I wish you both well.
Dr. Ditah, MD