Had Transient ischemic attack. CT scan showed a shadow on brain stem. what this could be?

after having yet another TIA i was taken to A+E, put on asprin and referred to the TIA clinic 2 days later. Carotid dopler was fine but CT scan showed a shadow on right side of brain stem- the consultant said it was probably why all the strokes only affected the left side of my body. He referred me for an MRI but 6week wait and then 2more weeks to go for results.That was last week and I have been out of my mind with worry as to what it could be, it is all I think about from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. Does anyone have an idea what this might be so that I can at least be prepared??
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
TIA (Transient ischemic attacks) are recurrent in your case since Feb 2011. Risk factor is hypertension, though it is under control. Because of high blood pressure some areas of brain may show altered signal areas on CT/MRI. I think that is the shadow that you are seeing on the scan. You should have assessment of all risk factors e.g. lipid profile, arthritis panel, thyroid functions, renal functions and MR angiogram of brain vessels. Your current treatment in form of blood pressure control and aspirin seem adequate.

With these measures you are likely to be stable. You carry a higher risk of progressing to stroke but that is not so high in your case. I don't think we could be possibly talking about a tumour here/
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr. Pratap
Follow-up: Had Transient ischemic attack. CT scan showed a shadow on brain stem. what this could be? 42 minutes later
I forgot to say that over the past year my short term memory has been greatly affected and I have been left with dysphasia in that I have trouble finding the right words, say completely wrong words/meanings and stamer while my brain is trying to find the word I'm looking for
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 2 hours later

These symptoms are part of ischemic (less blood) insult to brain and fortunately, you have recovered from it.

Other suggestions remain the same as per last communication.

Hope this helps you. Do write back in case you have doubts.