Had Thyroid problem, was taking thyronorm for high TSH. Advised to low dose when TSH was down. Suggest?

My wife had a Thyroid problem (hypo thyrodism with TSH level was at 53.1) and according to doctors advice she had taken "Thyronorm 100 mg" for one month and after that when she had taken the blood test ,TSH was down to 0.23 and free T4 is 1.50. this time doctor has prescribed to take the "Thyronorm 88mg."
my question is ... Is the medicine will be same for the TSH levels high and low...we could not able to understand the medication process. and also is there any chance of getting the TSH levels to normal OR she has to take the medication for ever for this problem.Kindly advice, and let me know if you nedd any other details from our side.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dosage modification done is right

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Endocrinology, working with an experienced Endocrinologist. I answer on his behalf.

With Thyronorm 100microgms the Tsh was over corrected and came to lower level, once the dosage is lowered the Tsh may come to the normal level.

Thyronorm is a substitute hormone it acts as active thyroid hormone T4 and performs physiological functions that the hormone does along with inhibiting the Tsh release. This is why the Tsh levels drop in the initial days of treatment. Once the dosage is titrated well, the Tsh will come to normal.

Yes, most of people suffering from abnormal thyroid hormone levels need life long medication.