Had TIA due to high cholesterol. On low cholesterol diet. Is there any proper cure?

Nov 2013

Hi, my mother had TIA. She getting mild strokes. In last 2 years she got strokes for 3 times. Stroke stays for 10 minutes. When it happened first, I took her for an emergency and every type of test is done, and it had been found out that it's due to more cholestrol. So from then she is in a diet for low cholestrol. But the stroke happens in a periodical manner (once in every 8 months or so). When it happens she becomes complete numb, couldn't speak also.

When it happens we assume that may be she took some high cholestrol food and then again strict to the diet plan. Do I need to worry more for this, or a good diet food will solve the problem?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 44 hours later

Thank you posting your query.

Transient ischemic attacks (TIA) are minor strokes, and there is a higher chance of getting major strokes in a person who gets TIA.

Treatment requires use of blood thinners such as aspirin- the correct dose is Ecosprin 150 mg once daily.

In addition, all the risk factors should be well controlled. This includes cholesterol, BP and sugars.

A new risk factor called homocysteine should also be checked in blood, if it is high, it should also be treated.

Low fat low cholesterol diet and regular physical exercises are also important.

There is no need to worry if your mother does all the above.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any further queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad