Had Streptococcus causing hip replacement after strep was clear. Have leg pain. Suggest?

Question
I had Strep two causing a hip replacement after the strep was clear. Why do you believe this happened and why was my pain only in the leg?

Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Has local and general predisposing factors

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Streptococcus has specific areas of predilection. It is true that the main areas of preference for streptococcus are mainly the throat and the skin.

However, it might be due to areas of predilection. Presence of a wound around this area, or an infection around this area, it is very possible for the infection to spread to the bone and joints. It is not rare, especially in children, or people with degrees of immune depression (HIV, Diabetes, cancer to an extent, sickle cell disease), it is very possible that this infection could spread to all areas.

The leg, certainly considering the local and general favoring factors, can be very much affected. It s not very rare and should not be a cause for much worries at this point in time.

In case you have other specific questions, feel free asking please. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD

Follow-up: Had Streptococcus causing hip replacement after strep was clear. Have leg pain. Suggest? 31 minutes later
For three months I had severe pain in my left leg and went to doctor after doctor and physical therapy. I even had an ex XXXXXXX of my hips to be told they were in excellent condition for a woman my age. I am a swimmer but have had to stop for a while. With all the cancer surgeries I have had could a hot tub cause this problem. No orthopedic surgeon or my internist want to give me a clear answer.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, but in very rare occassions

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

hot tubs could cause infection. However, germs in usually accompanying hot tubs are E. coli, mycobacteria and pseudomonas. Although Streptococcus has been reported in very rare cases, it is also a rare infection that could be gotten through hot tub use.

However, other commonest predisposing conditions as mentioned above should be considered. Having Streptoccal infections without apparent portals of entry are also not uncommon.

Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD