Had RCT. Shared a cigarette with a friend who has HIV. Any risks ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi I had a root canal done 3 days ago and I went
to a party on Friday with some friends and I wasn't
aware at first that a friend of mine had hiv and I shared a cigarette with him do I have to worry?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Sharing a cigarette is not likely to transmit HIV infection. A direct contact is necessary for the virus transmission. The likelihood that you have contracted HIV from this exposure is negligible.
But you should be careful in future with such encounters. Remember in future that after any type of high risk contact, clean the affected site with soap water or a mouthwash and if there is major contact then post exposure prophylaxis should be started within 6 hours of exposure (you can visit an ART center/ your doctor for the prophylaxis).
There is no need to get yourself tested for HIV.
Be reassured. Do not worry.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.