Had OCD and many skin grafts. Use special rx tooth paste with fluride. Help?

My email is YYYY@YYYY . I had OCD as a teen and one of my symptoms was brushing my teeth way too often and too hard--with a hard brush. That was about 40 years ago (I'm 58 now). I've had too many skin grafts to count but invariably it keep getting worse. I look like I have meth mouth even tho I've never used drugs. I can't stand looking in the mirror or having my picture taken, I'm a virtual recluse and I HATE LIFE. I only have my 86-year-old mom with health issues--no nearby family or friends. I went to my periodontist yesterday and I'm more confused and discouraged (if possible) than ever. They now seem less worried about gum recession (I have tons of it) than my getting cavities in the exposed roots. I use a special rx toothpaste with tons of flouride but I doubt if it will work either--nothing else has. I just want to give up.
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later

Thanks for using XXXXXXX for posting your query.

I have gone through your query in detail. I can understand what you are going through.

From what I understand, you have had OCD symptoms in the past and cause of the excessive brushing of teeth you are facing its complications even now. From what you have written it appears that you are too stressed out and are having a depressive episode.

The problem of taking care of your aged mother is also adding up the burnout.. You surely need some support and help. For you 8 to 10 sessions of CBT(Cognitive behavioral therapy) will be very useful for you. They will target your depressive cognition and help you understand and correct them. They will be weekly sessions and can be given by some experienced psychiatrist. May be you can contact the same psychiatrist who was treating you for your OCD.

Hope I am able to help your concerns.

Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy