Had Novasure procedure done, experiencing light menstrual periods. Have fibroids in uterus, became anemic and low RBC

I had the novasure procedure done on 6/10 & am experiencing a light menstrual period as of this week. I did have fibroids in my uterus area & questioned my Doctor if this was an effective procedure to eliminate the extremely heavy menstrual cycles experienced for 5 months; so heavy, I became anemic & red blood count dropped to 9 at the last count. Since the ablasion, my blood counts are normal & good. Now nervous since starting to experience another menstrual cycle. I have a call in to my OB/GYN that did procedure.

Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up with ultrasound

Detailed Answer:

Endometrial ablation burns the lining of the uterus. Fibroids can be of various types and sizes. Ablation is a procedure that works only if the fibroids are small,or of a certain type. You may experience some bleeding after the ablation process.But usually much less in amount than before. After some months,you not bleed at all.All this provided only if the fibroids are not large or certain types. It would depend on the size of the uterus.If the ablation has worked, then you should be feeling the effects within 6 month.If it hasnt you may get symptoms again.

So,to summarize, you may get some light bleeding after the procedure. But not as heavy as before. However,if they are as heavy as before, then you may need surgery.If i understand correctly,you had the procedure in 2010. Since then,you have started bleeding again for the first time after 3 yrs. That is not unheard of,but needs to be followed up. You should repeat an ultrasound to check for fibroids, uterine size and thickness of endometrial lining.