Had Mirena birth control. Missed periods. Noticed brown spots. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello I had a quick question to find out if I should be concerned that I pregnant or if I should wait. I had my Mirena birth control removed on April 23 and bled from that day until May 4th. I was on the birth control pills all that time but I did miss a few days to be honest. Then on May 13th I had one spot of brownish red blood on my underwear and when I wiped and that was it, no more. It is now May 20th and still no more blood. I did take a pregnancy test and it was negative but I dont know if thats because its too early to tell or am I just not pregnant.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
First, pregnancy tests are pretty accurate now a days especailly when done at around the time your period is due. So to be 100% sure you should do in 2 weeks.

But even now the possibility of pregnancy, even if you missed 1-2 pills is very low(<0.5%). So you do not have to be very concerned. Blood spotting and other bleeding abnormalities and period missing are commonly seen when contraception is used( especailly Mirena) and this does not indicate anything serious.

I prefer pills,not mirena for young girls like you. Since you removed mirena and started pills, few months should pass till your periods stabilize.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.