Had MTP. Foetus was less than 6 weeks. No periods from 3 months. Worried?

My wife had a MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) during the month of XXXXXXX 2013. The foetus was less than 6 weeks old and the MTP was administered by a professional gynecologist.

After the MTP she has not had her periods for almost 3 months now. We read articles where it said that usually after MTP periods will be delayed by 8-10 weeks. Now we are worried. Kindly advice on how to go ahead.

Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
pregnancy to be ruled out first

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry about your wife's health concern.

Usually after a MTP, periods would return normally by next 6 weeks. Only, sometimes it can be delayed to up to 10 weeks.

Please let me know if your wife and you had sexual intercourse anytime after the MTP.

Not having a period at all for almost 3 months, means to say that we have to rule out pregnancy first.

If you have had sexual intercourse with your wife in this period, we need to first rule out pregnancy by doing a home urine pregnancy test.

Please let me know more about the concern for me to advise you specifically on how to go ahead.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Had MTP. Foetus was less than 6 weeks. No periods from 3 months. Worried? 37 minutes later

We did a pregnancy test (using the home test kit) around 2 weeks back and the result was negative.

We are worried that it may affect our prospects of birthing a child in the future.

Need your advice on the way forward.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
repeat the pregnancy test again

Detailed Answer:

I would suggest you to repeat the home pregnancy test again now either today or tomorrow.

If the result is negative, I would advise your wife to go for an ultrasound scan of the uterus to look for underlying causes.

If the scan is normal, your wife can take progesterone pills to have withdrawal vaginal bleeding or periods. Your doctor will be aware of this. Please discuss the same with her.

Do not be worried as this will not affect the future pregnancy.

Follow-up: Had MTP. Foetus was less than 6 weeks. No periods from 3 months. Worried? 38 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor.

Will do as briefed.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome to write to me any time. It would be my pleasure.