Had MRI results of knees. What are the findings?

As a part of my knee MRI results, it said "multiple subchondral cysts along the medial tibial plateau with underlying bone marrow edema". Can you please explain the significance?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably osteoarthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

This is very compatible osteoarhtritis of the knee. Treatment will depend on the clinical appreciation by your doctor. This could range from local ant inflammatory drugs, analgesics, Calcium, Glucocorticoids, Glucosamine and at times surgery depending on the case.

The appreciation by rheumatologist could be useful. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Bain LE, MD.

Follow-up: Had MRI results of knees. What are the findings? 1 hour later
Cysts aren't what I think of when I think of arthritis. Generally cysts are growths that can usually be drained, aren't they? What does subchondral mean?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Generally,you are right, but a few exceptions

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Sub chondral means under the cartilage (Chon = cartilage from latin). In this the terminology with respect to cysts differ in this case to actually mean spaces or areas with lower than normal density underneath the articular cartilage.

Your idea of cysts being fluid containing bodies or structures is generally very correct. thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking further questions if need be. thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD