Had MRI of spine. What are the findings?

May 2014

Please explain in a simple way to me to understand my MRI report and ; Small midline posterior disc protrusion associated with annular fissure at L5/S1, abutting the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and the original of S1 nerve root sheaths, without displacement or compression in the supine position. This has increased in size since the previous study.
Small lateral foraminal and far lateral disc bulge and annular fissure at L4/5, abutting the exiting left L4 nerve at the aspect of the intervertebral foramen, without definite compression in the supine position of imaging. this is slightly more prominent than on previous imaging.
My email is : YYYY@YYYY
Regards and Thanks
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 42 minutes later
This is Dr.Vivek, radiologist with 10 years experience answering your question.

1. Small midline posterior disc protrusion with annular fissure at L5 S1 disc: This means the disc at L5 S1 (lower back region) is bulging beyond its vertebral margin backwards With a small fissure within in the annular region. It is also touching the sac containing the spinal cord and the covering of nerve root S1 with no significant pressure effects. There is slight increase in this finding from the earlier MRI scan.

2. Small lateral foraminal and far lateral disc bulge and annular fissure at L4 L5 disc: This means that disc at L4 L5 level is slightly bulging along the sides on the left side with a small fissure in its snnular region. It is touching the exiting L4 nerve root on left side (the origin of the nerve which is leaving the spine through holes on sides). There is no definite pressure effct on the nerve root as a result of this.
This finding has also slightly increased from earlier MRI scan.

Further questions welcome.

Dr Vivek

Follow-up: Had MRI of spine. What are the findings? 15 hours later
Please let me know what can I do to 1: Reduce the pains 2:Cure the case permanently.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in again.
My replies to questions asked by you are as follows,

1. Reduce the pains: There are ways in which pains can be controlled and further disease progress can be delayed.

Home Remedies:

Please do not involve yourself in strenuous physical activities.

If your body weight is a concern, you may please take necessary steps.

Do not make unintentional sudden movements at your lower back like suddenly turning around while sitting.

Avoid lifting heavy weights.

Occasionally you may need to apply muscle relaxants and pain killer ointments over the region.

Medical treatment to reduce pain:

Taking prescribed oral medications like pregabalin (to be taken under medical supervision only after asking your doctor and in recommended doses). This medicine is effective in reducing pain for many patients.

Selective nerve root decompression through injections can help in reducing the pain to a large extent.

2. Medical/ Surgical treatment for permanent cure:

The protruding disc can be operated upon by lumbar discectomy. In this the problem part of the disc causing compression on the nerve root is surgically removed nowadays through endoscopic method.

Laser discectomy is also done in some places where medically approved laser is targeted at the problematic disc. This is a minimally invasive procedure.

For severe problems (may not relate to you) laminectomy is also done. In this the lamina part of the vertebra is surgically removed and the nerve root is decompressed surgically . This is done in patients with spinal canal stenosis.

Hope I have answered your questions.
Further questions are always welcome.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Dr Vivek