Had MRI for back pain and knees. Bone marrow signal has decreased diffusely. Should I be concerned?

I had an MRI for pain in back and into knees ... Should I be concerned with the following: The bone marroaw signal is diffusely decreased. This is a nonspecific finding. This can be seen with anemia, chronic tobacco use or bone marrow replacement disorders. While I have never been diagnosed with anemia nor do I smoke ... I do have a deep history of cancer in the family. Should I be concerned. Should I see another specialist.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO WORRIES for now

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is difficult and unusually not very informative, to interpret results from X rays and scans (CT, MRI) without clinical information. Many diseases do present in a similar fashion with these examinations. A clinical review and information from your doctor is important for understanding the results.

I really do not think you need to be worried with the results of the test. In case you have had any signs and symptoms lately, it might be good for you to see a doctor. This shall permit him to correlate results with the clinical signs and symptoms, in case you present any.

It is true that you have a family history of cancer. This does not however mean you must also get cancer. However, there is an increased risk. It might be necessary to inform your doctor, to check regular for any signs and symptoms ], that could be suggestive of a cancerous process. This shall permit him to undertake the appropriate screening test for specific cancers.

I suggest you get a clinical review form your rheumatologist/orthopedic surgeon in case you experience bone/muscle pain. the MRI result on its own, as it presents. should NOT make you to panic. thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking follow up questions through this forum in case you have any specific concerns. Wishing you the best of health and kind regards.

Dr Rogers