Had MRI done for spine. What are the findings?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor, my mother age is 58, her MRI finding are
1. Marginal osteophytic changes noted in cervical vertebrae ;
2. Disc dessication seen at multiple level as T2 signal loss ;
3. Diffuse posterior disc bulge seen at C3-C4, C4-C5, C5-C6 and C6-C7 causing thecal sac compression with narrowing of bilateral neural foramina.

Please suggest whether the above MRI findings can be curable by medicines or not.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medicines and exercise vcan help to some extent.

Detailed Answer:
The MRI report you have given above goes with Cervical Spondylosis.
There are features of Disc bulge with narrowing of neural foramina from C3-C7 levels.

Usually, the spinal cord and nerve roots are protected within the spinal canal. The spinal canal is guarded by the vertebrae which separated from one another by a cushion like intervertebral discs. With age, degenerative changes occur which leads to disc prolapse and spinal cord/physiotherapy exercises.
Usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.