Had MRI and sonomammography. Why are there new cysts on MRI? Is sonomammography more accurate?

I want someone to help me understand why this new cysts that appreaed in the Mri was not noticed in the Sonomammography. I thought that the sono was more specific than the Mamography . Please explain the results of the mRI attached and what should I expect, based on these readings.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 18 hours later
MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) is the best imaging modality for breast at this moment but it is used only if absolutely required. Mostly sonograms and mammograms are able to do the job.

The MRI mentions that your previous sonomammogram also had shown multiple cystic lesions bilaterally, with some solid lesions as well. In all probability all the USG (ultrasonography) features pointed towards a benign process but as the breasts were dense, further MRI was suggested.

The MRI essentially is within acceptable limits. It again shows the bilateral cystic lesions which are definitely benign. There are two solid lesions, the one in superomedial quadrant is definitely a fibroadenoma (benign lump) and the other in inferolateral quadrant could not be correlated with USG and hence reported as suspicious.

I strongly feel that both of these are benign. However, to say on the safe side, you need to at least have a repeat evaluation (MRI) after six months. If it stays the same, then there is nothing to worry.

I don't think there is any pressing need for biopsy at this point.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Had MRI and sonomammography. Why are there new cysts on MRI? Is sonomammography more accurate? 2 days later
Thank for you answer, i was a lot better than just answer site. I still have a another question: What can I do to reduce these fibroadenomas and why are they showing up now at my age. Aren't these suppose to appear in younger woman? I'm close to my menopause Shoudn't these be reduced at this point of my life. What things do you suggest I do to control or redice these for appearing or to make them disappear.?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 39 minutes later
Thanks for getting back.
Though you are close to your menopause, 48 years is young as far as estimating the risk for breast cancer is concerned. The incidence of breast cancer is much higher in women more than 55-60 years of age. Since the hormonal factors are still at play, there is no reason why you cannot have fibroadenoma at this age.

There is no specific measure to reduce or prevent fibroadenoma. They don't require any specific intervention. Just make sure that you regularly follow up with your physician.
I hope I have answered your query.