Had L5S1 laminectomy. Having pain and leg shakes during walk. Remedy?

I had a L5S1 laminectomy 16 yrs go. Now he tPain is crippling in the morning, walk is shuffled and short stride, R leg shakes when climbing stairs. Is it DDD or is the disc L5S1 just beyond repair? Currently on toradol 50 mg 1 po bid prn, XXXXXXX 350mg 1 po tid. Effexor 1 po qd with no relief. what would be your recommendation
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later
Thanks for the query
I understand your concern
You need a detailed neurological examination to find out if there are signs of spinal cord problem or not. I was not able to see the images due to some technical problem. If these images are X-rays, then I will advise you to get a MRI scan of the spine with contrast which will define the problem better. Based upon the data you have provided, I feel that you have a problem in the spinal cord which was there earlier or may be due to surgery, which needs a detailed evaluation by a local neurologist. Please understand the limitation of not examining you

Please get back in case you need any additional information
Best wishes
Follow-up: Had L5S1 laminectomy. Having pain and leg shakes during walk. Remedy? 18 hours later
so my report finally came and here is what is says
mild changes DDD is thorasic spine, vertebral body height wnl, DDD is L5S1 with prominent intervertebral disc space and height loss with mild osteophytes.

what is the standard treatment? I am a nurse. so you don't have to dumb it down
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 30 hours later
If you have pain alone, you may try medications like pregabaline,gabapentine along with physiotherapy. If you have limb weakness, you may need operation. Before these steps, you need a detailed neurological evaluation by a local neurologist for assessment of clinical deficits so that we can decide about the operation in your case.

Best wishes