Had Kliebceilla pneumonia and trache. Have shortness of breath and suspected UTI. Advise?

I just had Kliebceilla pneumonia and a trache. I am very short of breath and know I must have a UTI. Is it possible that the K did not go away
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Klebsiella pneumoniae is a tough Gram negative bacteria to treat. I understand that your shortness of breath and UTI may have been caused by the same. Can you elaborate when, which body test was this bug isolated and what treatments were given then.

Klebsiella does cause a variety of body symptoms. But accurate treatment is started only after isolation provided the patient is stable.

I can answer your query of this bug being killed or not depending on your complete history. Also elaborate relevant present histories on your ED syndrome and Crohn's.

Can you also expand - "trache."

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Had Kliebceilla pneumonia and trache. Have shortness of breath and suspected UTI. Advise? 9 minutes later
I was hospitalized with angio edema and then a trache placed. Anyway they found it Kliebciella in urine and sputem. I was in icu. I also have an ileostomy. My trache was removed today under my insistance. However the symptoms of serious shortness of breath and pain urinating started way before
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 18 minutes later
Thanks for the follow-on.

I assume if you were discharged then from ICU, the bug should have been properly treated. You certainly have the risk factors for the bug to make a comeback - ileostomy and tracheostomy removed against advice.

You have not mentioned any medications on discharge or any ongoing ?

If you have having these symptoms in spite of good treatment in ICU and hospital now, its high time to get reviewed for same. You may need a fresh course of antibiotics if the bug is isolated again.

Let me know of any further queries.