Had KUB region X-Ray in first month of pregnancy, chances of abnormal baby. Is abortion advisable?

Hi, My Wife had a KUB region X-Ray in her first month of Pregnancy and we were not aware of her pregnancy at that time . Now when we come to know that she is pregnant we consulted the doctor and she is advising us to abort the baby as the chances may be that baby may develop abnormality(Mental Retardation, Cancer etc.) because of the KUB region X-Ray in first month .
Her Last period were on 31st July and we get X-Ray done on 24th August.
Please suggest what needs to be done in this case.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

An unintentional exposure of X-rays to the unborn baby in the first trimester is a matter of worry. But a single exposure with Xray does not exceed the limit of 5 rads, which is considered XXXXXXX and may cause congenital malformations during the time.

The risk to your unborn child is very small, and the benefit of finding out about your medical condition is far greater. The majority of birth defects and childhood diseases occur even if the mother is not exposed to any known harmful agent during pregnancy.

I do not think there is a good reason to abort just because of a single X-ray exposure. The radiation you are exposed to are too low to produce any effect on the baby.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.