Had IV for sedation while having colonoscopy. Red bump has appeared at the site, yellow in color. Express concern?

Good morning ... I recently had an IV for sedation while having colonoscopy ... A small red bump has appeared at the site ,, no pain, no itch,, just a small (perhaps 1/4 inch diameter) bump w/a tiny yellowish center ... Should I be concerned ???? And what if anything should I do ???
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A small bump at the site of injection is most likely a small hematoma due to local bleeding or a mild inflammation of the punctured vein.
Since there is no pain, itching or fever associated with the swelling, it is not infected. The central yellowish area suggests that the hematoma is clearing spontaneously.
Right now I do not feel that needs any treatment. This soft tissue swelling will resolve on its own in 7-10 days.
You can self monitor the swelling for any pain, redness, increase in size or any superficial discharge or ulceration in which case medical attention and proper treatment are needed.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.