Had IUI following good follicular sizes. Prescribed with duphaston. Periods did not start, brown spotting. Pregnant?

Infertility Specialist
Dear Doctor, My wife had IUI on CD 13 following good follicular sizes. Doctor prescribed Duphaston 10mg. The Period due date is 25 April, 2013. Did a Pregnancy Blood test on 27th April 2013, which appeared negative. Period did not start yet till date: 29 April, 2013. But, sometimes, brown spotting there. We dont know what is this? Do we need to wait another week, and redo the test?

On the other hand, she is taking folic acid and duphaston twice a daily. Is this due to Duphaston, do we need to stop it or continue until period comes?

Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for your query. I read your query and understand your concerns.

Your wife is not getting proper cycles due to duphaston tablets. Please stop duphaston tablets which will lead to good flow instead of brownish spots.

Your wife has very large fibroids which have to be operated if you are planning conception by IUI or natural methods.

If she does not get cycles even after one week of stopping duphaston tablets, you can redo pregnancy test.

I hope I answered your query.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Had IUI following good follicular sizes. Prescribed with duphaston. Periods did not start, brown spotting. Pregnant? 1 hour later
As far as i know, my sister-in-law had also negative pregnancy test, then the doctor prescriber her Duphastone (twice daily) by saying that the report is negative, but you can take this. If there is a pregnancy, then it will sustain, otherwise, the periods will come.

From this scenario, i am confused that how Duphaston will interfare in delaying periods. Moreover, I have further studied that Duphaston will alse be used to induce periods.

1. For the Fibroids, i am preferred to go with minimal invasive procedure (Laproscopic Myomectomy). Is it safe? Does this have any impact on the Uterus and ovaries?

2. Moreover, is it possible to remove these fibroids with MRI guided Focussed Ultrasound (MRgFUS) technique without touching the Uterus?

3. My wife is afraid of having uterus removed, therefore, she is vrey much reluctant to go with operation? Is there any way to remove these fibroids with medicine or through laser surgery? I have heard about serrapeptase enzyme which will dissolve the fibroids. Is this true?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 21 minutes later

I understand your confusion.

1) Duphaston is a tablet containing progesterone. This helps in maintaining progesterone in blood at high concentration which is required for conception also. During pregnancy body also secretes this hormone. This is given as suppliment as in your case.

2) But if there is no pregnancy , after stopping the drug, the hormonal withdrawal occurs which leads to withdrawal of progesterone and starting of bleeding.

3) laparoscopic mymectomy is best in your case. Please go ahead.

4) These fibroids are very large to be considered for MRgFUS and I dont recommend it in your case.

5) There are so many other medicines but they wont work such big fibroids. Uterus wont be removed and hence dont worry about it. Only fibroids can be removed by an expert laparoscopic surgeon.

I hope you are more clearer now.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist