Had IUI and vaginal ultrasound. Bleeding after the procedure. Is this normal?

Infertility Specialist
Question
hello doctor, I had my second round of IUI today and my new gynaecologist did vaginal ultrasound 1 hour before my IUI to check ovulation. But i am scared as she used condom with gel on it for ultrasound and also she put speculum lubricated with the same gel during IUI. Now my question is : 1) whether the gel she used can kill the washed sperm ? 2)is it right to use gel on the day of IUI ? 3) i had bleeding immediately after the procedure, is it normal? 4) i hope because of this gel my IUI will not fail? can u please explain how IUI is done if not using gel some one told me doctors use saline water ONE MORE QUESTION MY GYNAECOLOGIST TOLD ME THAT WASHED SPERMS ARE ALIVE FOR ONLY 2 TO 3 HOURS AFTER IUI INSIDE UTREUS ? is it true or false
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 14 hours later
Brief Answer: detailed below Detailed Answer: Now my question is : 1) whether the gel she used can kill the washed sperm ? While the gel does kill sperm, since it's only applied to the vagina, it does not enter the uterine cavity and will not kill the sperm which are deposited inside the uterine cavity during an IUI, so please do not worry about this 2)is it right to use gel on the day of IUI ? Lots of doctors do use the gel - it's not very important either way 3) i had bleeding immediately after the procedure, is it normal? No. Was it a difficult IUI ? 4) i hope because of this gel my IUI will not fail? No - but do remember that a perfect IUI cycle has a success rate of only 10% - which means 90% of IUI cycles do fail can u please explain how IUI is done if not using gel some one told me doctors use saline water Yes - and some do it without using any gel at all or they use liquid paraffin ( which does not kill the sperm ) ONE MORE QUESTION MY GYNAECOLOGIST TOLD ME THAT WASHED SPERMS ARE ALIVE FOR ONLY 2 TO 3 HOURS AFTER IUI INSIDE UTREUS ? is it true or false No - they remain alive for 24-48 hours We look forward to helping you to have a baby ! Dr Aniruddha Malpani, MD Malpani Infertility Clinic, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX SBS Road, Colaba Bombay 400 005. India Tel: 91-22-0000, 0000, 2218 3270, 0000 Helping you to build your family ! You can add a google review for us at WWW.WWWW.WW My Facebook page is at WWW.WWWW.WW You can follow me on twitter at WWW.WWWW.WW Watch our infertility cartoon film at WWW.WWWW.WW Read our book, How to Have a Baby - A Guide for the Infertile Couple, online at WWW.WWWW.WW ! Read my blog about improving the doctor-patient relationship at WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had IUI and vaginal ultrasound. Bleeding after the procedure. Is this normal? 11 days later
hello doctor, its twelve days post IUI and i am having 800 mg of progestrone everyday. i havent got my period . please let me know what are the symptoms of implantation or what should be the symptoms on the twelth day. I am having same symptoms as i get during my periods. MY SYMPTOMS ARE AS FOLLOWS SINCE IUI... first i had, constipation after iui for a few days.. also had heart burn and acidity. felt lot of cramps ..in my lower abdomen. there is pain in my legs along with some numbness. feeling very sleepy after progesterone n little dizzy. now past 5-6 days my stomach is getting cleared two times a day, and im worried if ill get my period cos before my period i get a bit lose stomach just the same way as now... before my period i always get constipated first few days and after that i get a lose stomach. also are the symptoms of pregnancy same as periods? can we tell by symptoms whether a person is pregnant or not? i dont have sore breast or nausea or vomit feeling?

Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Symptoms after IUI Detailed Answer: Hi, Unfortunately, it's not possible to come to any conclusion based on these symptoms. Oral progesterone causes dizziness and sleepiness. The other symptoms are also because of progesterone - and are very similar to PMS ( premenstrual) symptoms. You have to wait until you do a pregnancy test to find out what the outcome of the IUI treatment has been Read more at WWW.WWWW.WW Best of luck ! The 2 week wait can be very long ! Dr Malpani

Follow-up: Had IUI and vaginal ultrasound. Bleeding after the procedure. Is this normal? 2 hours later
thanks doctor, anyways i will wait for my results.. i had 2 IUI and if i dont conceive this time i am planning for IVF procedure.. is there any risk in child if we do IVF or they are just like natural born children as i have PCO? also me and my husband are scared of mix up of embryos if we go for IVF,,can it happen? also my AMH is 8.3 and FSH is 4.5 and LH 7.6 Also since i have PCO does that mean my egg quality is not good?

Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 10 hours later
Brief Answer: IVF versus IUI Detailed Answer: If IUI fails, then I agree that IVF would be your best option. Many doctors don't have enough experience or expertise in doing IVF for PCO patients. They are so scared of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS), that they end up mis-timing the HCG injection, as a result of which they get few eggs and poor quality embryos. Apart from some chances of minor anomalies etc, there is not much difference between IVF babies and other babies. We have extensive experience in doing IVF for PCOD patients, and our pregnancy rates are better than 45% per cycle for PCOD patients. You can read more about this at WWW.WWWW.WW ! We can also offer you a money-back treatment option. You can read more about this at WWW.WWWW.WW Should I send you the treatment plan? Your high AMH confirms you have good ovarian reserve. Your chances of conceiving with the right treatment are excellent We look forward to helping you to have a baby ! Dr Aniruddha Malpani, MD Malpani Infertility Clinic, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX SBS Road, Colaba Bombay 400 005. India Tel: 91-22-0000, 0000, 2218 3270 FAX ( India) 91-22-0000. Helping couples build families ! PS Read our book, How to Have a Baby - A Guide for the Infertile Couple, online at WWW.WWWW.WW !

Follow-up: Had IUI and vaginal ultrasound. Bleeding after the procedure. Is this normal? 1 hour later
Apart from some chances of minor anomalies etc, there is not much difference between IVF babies and other babies. PLEASE CAN U EXPLAIN ME DOCTOR WHAT IS MEANT BY ANOMALITIES ? AND I HOPE THERE ARE NO BIRTH DEFECTS IN IVF BABIES? MY SECOND QUESTION IS ABOUT IVF EGG AND EMBRYOS MIX UP WITH OTHER COUPLES WHICH I HEARD? IS IT TRUE?

Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: IVF is safe Detailed Answer: IVF is a safe and effective procedure. More than 3 million babies have been born worldwide after IVF. The risk of birth defects/ anomalies/ abnormalities does not rise after IVF - it remains the same as natural birth Read more at WWW.WWWW.WW Mixups do not happen in good IVF labs ! Dr Aniruddha Malpani, MD Malpani Infertility Clinic, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX SBS Road, Colaba Bombay 400 005. India Tel: 91-22-0000, 0000, 2218 3270, 0000 Helping you to build your family ! My Facebook page is at WWW.WWWW.WW You can follow me on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/drmalpani Watch our infertility cartoon film at WWW.WWWW.WW Read our book, How to Have a Baby - A Guide for the Infertile Couple, online at WWW.WWWW.WW ! Read my blog about improving the doctor-patient relationship at WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had IUI and vaginal ultrasound. Bleeding after the procedure. Is this normal? 20 days later
Hello doctor Anirudha, i had 3 failed IUI'S so i just had an IVF this cycle and got my eggs retreived on 30th oct,13 and results were as follows: 14 eggs retrieved 11 were mature 8 eggs fertilized and on day 3 i got two eggs transferred A and B grade which had six cells... my doctor was expecting 8 cells on day three and wanted to transfer blastocyst.... is it possible i get pregnant this cycle? i have one more question and i.e my e 2 level was 6200 on the day i took hcg shot still i had just 14 follicles is it normal?

Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Embryo photos Detailed Answer: I need more information to be able to guide you intelligently. DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS OF YOUR EMBRYOS ? You can see what embryos look like at WWW.WWWW.WW What was the endometrial thickness ? Can you please send me the printed treatment summary from your IVF clinic ? Dr Malpani

thanks doctor, i saw the picture before they did the embryo transfer and they were six cells and they were equal in size with little bit of fragmentation in one... and the endometrial thickness is 8.5 also one more thing doctor i am allergic to progestrone i mean i took crinone get and my whole body started paining right from jaw to feet so i stopped... i took geston pill vaginally and i got very bad itching and bruises on my vagina.. i can only take progestrone 400 mg daily orally is it ok for ivf?

Answered by Dr. Aniruddha Malpani 4 days later
Brief Answer: Progesterone Detailed Answer: Yes, you can take progesterone orally, but it will make you very dizzy Try changing the brand of vaginal progesterone - this will often solve the local itching problem Dr Aniruddha Malpani, MD Malpani Infertility Clinic, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX SBS Road, Colaba Bombay 400 005. India Tel: 91-22-0000, 0000, 2218 3270, 0000 Helping you to build your family ! My Facebook page is at WWW.WWWW.WW You can follow me on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/drmalpani Watch our infertility cartoon film at WWW.WWWW.WW Read our book, How to Have a Baby - A Guide for the Infertile Couple, online at WWW.WWWW.WW ! Read my blog about improving the doctor-patient relationship at WWW.WWWW.WW