Had IUD, since then unable to conceive. Diagnosed Endo cervicitis, under medication. Can it cause infertility?

My wife had IUD before 5 years, since then she is unable to concieve. When consulted GYN doctor diagnosed Mild Endo Cervicitis. She currently under medication. Can this cause for Infertility? Is there a chance to conceive normal pregnancy ?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 53 minutes later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Manyy people have myth that IUD can cause infertility, but the fact is it is very very rare complication of IUD. And its a common MISCONCEPTION. IUDs can cause infetility only if there is uterine and fallopian tube infection after post insertion, which is almost nil because of highly aseptic precautions taken during IUD insertion. Mild endocervicitis cannot be a reason for infertility, it is a local infection which can be easily treated with vaginal antibiotic pessaries.
Now you and your wife need thorough evaluation regarding infertility. Firstly you need to undergo semen analysis, if that is normal, next evaluation is your wife. Regarding your wife three things should be evaluated,
1) Ovulation status by measuring serum FSH and LH(follicular stimulating hormone, leutinizing hormone) levels, FSH will also tell about Ovarian reserve.
2) Preferably Diagnostic hysteroscopy and laparoscopy, to know XXXXXXX architecture of uterus and fallopian tube patency.
After analyzing each finding, and treating if any abnormality found your wife can be given Ovulation induction and IUI(intra uterine insemination) if required. Which will be decided by your treating OBGY specialist.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile