Had ITB injury. Cannot climb stairs. counsulted physiotherapist. What to do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been running for the past 2+ years, recently I developed ITB injury and havent been able to climb up and down the stairs. I have been icing my knee regularly and also exercising as taught by the physiotherapist. I want to be able to run again. What should I do?

I couldnt find a podiatrist in the speciality selection, and hence selected ortho. Pls excuse.
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 hours later

Do not worry , it is common injury in runners specially women.
First of all you have to follow R.I.C.E treatment- Rest, ice, compression and elevation. It is the best way to treat your initial IT band pain.
Do not try stair climbing at present because because it is too much like running and will give more strain at iliotibial band.
Continue doing IT band stretching and strengthening exercises under guidance of your physiotherapist.
If your problem persist and if you have no any improvement after several weeks, consult your orthopaedic surgeon. You may need a cortisone injection to break up scar tissue and help speed healing.

Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr Saurabh Gupta