Had IPL laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. Options?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2013
Sep 2013

Question
I just had ipl laser done for acne scarring, my face is always red, what should I do? Whats a laser treatment for redness that I can get done? I don't want to continue these ipl treatments for scarring because its not that bad, its just the redness and red marks that put me down. Need help. Options?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ACNE ROSACEA ( Treatment for redness & red marks)

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.

As you are taking treatments for acne scarring with the help of ipl laser.
Now this treatment is complete.

You have following questions:

1 Your face is always red, what should you do?
Let me explain, what this is. In medical terms we call it acne rosacea. Acne rosacea is an inflammatory disorder predominantly affecting the central face. It is characterized by the presence of erythema, telangietasis and superficial pustule.
If these redness marks unite together we call it a diffuse lesion.
Acne rosacea can be treated topically or systemically.
Mild disease ( as in your case ) often responds to topical METRONIDZOLE or sodium sulfacetmide.
Local applicant after wash with tepid water is useful for you.
More severe cases you may need tetracycline 250-1000 mg /days in divided dosage.
If lesion are diffused (united) then you may need K P T laser treatment.

2 What's a laser treatment you can use for redness & red marks, this is 2nd question.
As I mentioned above if redness area is diffused then need K P T laser and it is effective.

3 No doubt redness and red marks let down you, but don't desperate you will be alright after treatment.
The main cause of this redness due to acne may be heat, emotional stimuli, alcohol, hot drinks and spicy foods. So try to avoid these items.
Broad spectrum sun screen lotion help you very much.

Hope I have answered your question .
If further any question I will help.

Good luck.
Dr. HET

Follow-up: Had IPL laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. Options? 2 days later
What about pulsed XXXXXXX laser? I uploaded 2 pictures of my face and redness and red marks post acne. My scarring is pretty faded after one treatment of ipl laser treatment.

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acne , redness & red marks treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Once again thanks for the question.
After your report I feel happy that these red marks has faded and there is much improvement .
This is very nice to see that in your case , there is no rhinophyma ( redness & red marks may lead to connective tissue overgrowth particularly in the side of nose, that is not in your both picture).
In my opinion take one more ipl laser treatment .
Beside take drugs as I advises in previously reply .
Avoid emotional stimuli, alcohol, greasy food, junk food,hot drinks (caffeinated ).
What is Pulse XXXXXXX laser ?
This is also a type of treatment for removal of red marks & redness from body ( face) .
In this treatment a laser light focused over effected area . This light causes heat production , heat breaks underlying blood vessels ( main cause of redness & marks due to presence of hemoglobin i.e red coloring agent in our body).
There develops scar in injured vessels and and they closes.
Usually patient feels difference within 1-2 months time . This is a very good option for redness.
In your case at present there is no need of this treatment as redness already faded.
Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Had IPL laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. Options? 1 hour later
But my redness has not really faded, I said my scarring has faded. My face is still has redness and red marks, it's just hard to see on my pictures due to the lighting. Iv also been breaking out and I don't know what to do about that, breakouts ( pimples) on my face I get few. First 3 weeks after my ipl treatment I broke out really bad, guess that was because my skin is changing, don't know if that is still happening but I don't like pimples. Just want these red marks gone and redness gone from these faded scars.

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acne treatment IPL laser

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX
Once gain thanks for the query .
No doubt still redness present with red marks.
Any how need not to worry , then take a treatment of PULSE XXXXXXX LASER .
This is a complete treatment for removal of red marks and redness. You will get rid of within 1-2 months .
But mind it may reoccur if you don't take precaution as I mentioned in my replies as junk food etc.
For recurrence of pimples or acne as these may be due to , Sebum production by sebaceous glands.

Topical agents like RETINOIC ACID, BENZOYL PEROXIDE or ( salicylic acid) may effect the pattern of pimples.

Local erythromycin application with tablets also help+clindamycin.

Still pimples appear we will advise you systemic treatment .

Hope you feel relax as tension is the most serious cause of acne.

Further any question I will reply.
Good luck . Dr. HET

Follow-up: Had IPL laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. Options? 41 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

Well I see my derm on Friday, see what she says, like I think my scarring has improved quite abit but I could use another treatment or 2 to get better results but I just don't feel like breaking out again for the first few weeks, it wasent the best.

If she thinks I should continue then I will. But if not I will then ask her what I can do for my redness and red marks and I think I have pigmentation some. I'm considering doing the pulsed due laser if it helps with redness.

Is there any good body washes I could use that will dry out my skin, for my body, not face. Any good washes?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TRICLOSAN & ZINC OXIDE

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX
Any body wash with OIL FREE with water base will suit your skin.
Also use soap for face wash with ingredients TRICLOSAN & ZINC OXIDE.
Further any question I will reply .
Good luck for nice life.Dr. HET

Follow-up: Had IPL laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. Options? 20 hours later
Hello, I uploaded 3 pictures of my face and what it looks like today. Can you tell me what you think I should do next? Continue on with ipl laser treatments? Options? Opinions? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acne rosacea treatment .

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX
Once again thanks for the query & pictures.
Left side is near normal ,while on the right side somewhat redness present . Left side is approximately normal . In my opinion take one more course of pulse XXXXXXX laser ( ipl laser ) on the right side .
Beside this take precaution & drugs as advised in previous replies .
Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Had IPL laser done for acne scarring. Face is always red. Options? 2 hours later
So wait, I should take one more treatment of IPL or PDL? Which one will work best for me according to my pictures? The scarring has faded a lot, but their is still some visible. And I still have some redness and redmarks as well.

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acne rosacea treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX

Happy to see you again here.

At present pulse XXXXXXX laser is the best for you, so get it done. You will look very smart.

Good luck to you.

Dr. HET