Had ILC in right breast. Had mastectomy followed by FEC and radiotherapy. Having painless lump and numbness in knee. Concerned?

Last year I had ILC in my right breast. I had a mastectomy followed by FEC and radiotherapy. I am due to have an ultrasound on my left breast as there is a small, painless lump. I have also been experiencing pain in both wrists, lower back (left side) and occasionally a numbness in my left knee. As my auntie had breast cancer then secondary cancer in her bones, I am quite concerned. Please tell me what I should do
Many thanks
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries for now

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Thanks and its good you are conscious of all these. However, I do not really think the symptoms you are experiencing are actually due to the spread in any cancer. Other symptoms and sites would have attained first before the bones, which in my opinion, the clinical scenario you present does not fit into that status. I am not very worried you got any cancer spread as for now.

However, I would suggest you XXXXXXX your doctor for a chest X XXXXXXX LIver function tests, abdominal ultrasound and alkaline phosphatase measures, to be sure there is no spread to the natural predilected sites( lungs, bone, liver).

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Had ILC in right breast. Had mastectomy followed by FEC and radiotherapy. Having painless lump and numbness in knee. Concerned? 18 minutes later
Hi Dr Bain
Thank you for your quick reply and explanation.

I am having a bone density scan soon, would this pick up any cancerous cells?
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not for this purpose.,

Detailed Answer:
hi and thanks for the query,

the bone density scan is mainly to diagnose osteoporosis and not actually for cancerous spread to bones. There exist indirect signs that could be suggestive of bone lesions, but, its not the purpose of the bone density scan.

Specific tests like bone X rays and PET scans are more specific to see if bones have been touched., Blood alkaline phosphatase is also an indirect marker of bone lesions.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD