Had Hiatal Hernia, diaphramatic and gastric sleeve procedure. Redness and itching in wound sites. Applying fungal creams. Further tests?

General Surgeon
I had a Hiatal Hernia, Diaphramatic, and gastric sleeve procedure a week ago. I thought the redness and itching at the wound sites were related to my latex sensativites. Now that all the bandages are off it is even worse and a few runners of dots have occured. Three of the five incisions have rectangular very inflammed and itching areas. The other two areas have just broke out in the past three days. Cortizone isn't doing a thing. I am testing fungal cream on two and though they arent really growing worse there doesn't seem to be improvement either. Should I have bloodwork done?

Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It takes sometime to heal

Detailed Answer:
If it is done by laparoscopic method,the site of incisions will take some time to heal if they are infected.
They may get infected with redness and swelling of that area.
The incisions may not heal and they break up like your case.
Cotisone and antifungal creams will not help.
You should clean the wounds daily and do dressing with antibiotic ointment.
You should also take a oral antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug.
Nothing to worry.
It will come down.
Wish you speedy recovery