Had Herpes on lower lip and near eyes. What precautions should be taken while handling baby?

had an outbreak of Herpes on my lower lip and one or two places on my face near my left eye several months ago which has subsided with medication. Since then I have problem with my eyes. They are some times itchy and most of the time as if some grit has entered into them. Some sticky thing blurs my vision momentarily clearing it as I move my eyelids several times. I am travelling to the US next week to see my 4 month old grand daughter. Since I carry the herpes virus as many of us do what precautions should i take while handling the baby or no precautions at all? kindly advise
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 47 hours later

I hope you have taken the herpes zoster vaccine. If not, you must take one since you are above the age of 60yrs.

Unlike the chicken pox, you cannot catch herpes zoster or shingles from someone who has it. Therefore, your granddaughter is safe. She would not catch it.

There is not strict precaution that you need to take. However, it is better to avoid direct contact between oral fluids.

I hope this helps you. Take care!