Had Hepatitis B in the past and had current test. What does it indicate?

Excellent
Question
my wife had hepatitis b in the past, current test result :
Hbsag (-), anti hbs (-), anti hbc POSITIVE and hbv dna(-), so will she still can transmit the virus ?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
hi,
Thanks for contacting XXXXXXX IgM anti-HBc:
When this is positive or reactive, it indicates recent infection with HBV. As anti Hbs is negative chances of transmission is possible.
If you have any follow up questions, kindly direct at : WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had Hepatitis B in the past and had current test. What does it indicate? 36 minutes later
Although the hbv dna was negative? , hbs ag also negative and anti hbs also negative, the positive one only anti hbc total so this condition are still contagious? And can transmitt the virus to the others?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 5 hours later
Hi XXXXX
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX After analyzing your query, it could be due to:
1. Previous history of infection, which is most common case.
2. Rarely it could be false positive.
3.If the titers are very low, that means it could be remote or long back infection with hepatitis B infection.
4. And if IgM is positive, it means acute onset of infection: then the chances of infection is there.
Hence because of 4th reason, the chances of transmission cannot be ruled out completely.
Just to for your information: Total hepatitis B core antibody (anti-HBc): Appears at the onset of symptoms in acute hepatitis B and persists for life. The presence of anti-HBc indicates previous or ongoing infection with hepatitis B virus in an undefined time frame.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had Hepatitis B in the past and had current test. What does it indicate? 5 minutes later
So with hbv dna negative, is she still had the virus in her body and can be reactivated again and also transmitt it to others doc? Thanks for the answer

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 22 minutes later
Hi XXXXX
Now as you have mentioned HBV DNA is negative, and HBsAG, Anti HBsag, the CHANCES OF TRAMSMISSION IS NEGLIGIBLE. Although there are no data to inform an estimate of risk associated with unprotected sex with a person who has isolated anti-HBc; the safest course is to advise him to use barrier protection (condoms) with partners whose immunization status for HBV is unknown or uncertain.
If you do not have any further clarification you can close the discussion. Kindly rate & review my answer. Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Had Hepatitis B in the past and had current test. What does it indicate? 11 minutes later
Just to make sure doctor so with living together (not related to sex) will be safe and no risk of transmission with hbv dna negative also can the virus reactivated again in the future or is the virus still dormant in her body? Thanks a lot

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 3 hours later
Hi XXXXX
Its absolutely safe to live together, it wont spread by touching a person, eating together/in same plate/ sharing food/ clothes. HBsag spreads only by sexual contact/ by sharing needles/ syringes/ blood transfusion.
In wife could be a case of past infection, presuming HBeAg-negative. In these cases treatment can be administered when the HBV DNA is at or above 2000 IU/mL (104 copies/mL) and the serum ALT is elevated.
Hence I feel currently she doesn't need any treatment, but kindly follow her up with repeat blood tests 6 monthly (ie, to evaluate aminotransferase levels, antigen-antibody HBV profile, viral load, and alpha-fetoprotein [AFP] levels).
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW