Had Hepatitis B and new result was hbsag, anti hbs and anti hbc total negative with hbv dna positive

Question
My wife had hepatitis b in the past, and curenly her newest test result was hbsag negative, anti hbs negative, anti hbc total negative and hbv dna positive So can she transmitt the virus to other considering her hbv dna was negative?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello ma'am.

You are quite right while saying that if only your HBV DNA result has returned positive, you are still contagious and may be able to transmit this infection to others.

HBV DNA is also used by doctors to check the effectiveness of long-term treatment. But a positive HBV DNA also puts you at a higher risk for liver damage, so please speak with your doctor regarding all precautions you can take, and also to add a hepatoprotector (liver protecting medication), to your regimen.

Hope this helps ma'am.

Take care and god bless.

Follow-up: Had Hepatitis B and new result was hbsag, anti hbs and anti hbc total negative with hbv dna positive 2 hours later
So with this lab test result do my wife still contagious to others? And can she had repeat hepatitis b disease or the virus reactivated again? Thanks doctor

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Hello sir.

Yes, she is still contagious and can transmit the infection to others.

If she receives treatment for an adequate duration of time, then the infection should not recur.

Hope this is clear sir.

Wishing your wife a speedy and complete recovery.

Follow-up: Had Hepatitis B and new result was hbsag, anti hbs and anti hbc total negative with hbv dna positive 14 minutes later
Just 1 more question doctor, my wife had the hepatitis b in 2010.. And then the last test result showed as above hbsag, anti hbs and hbv dna negative while the anti hbc total positive, then her doctor told her that the disease is already cure and not contagious anymore and the doctor didn't give any medicine but only bio XXXXXXX (vitamin) so i wad very concious since in my house there are newborn baby and i'm very affraid of the virus will be transmit to the newborn baby, please help and thanks

Hello sir.

I can understand your concern, especially for your newborn.

In such a scenario, it is best to continue the course of anti-viral medication. Although a HBV DNA test result is considered quite accurate, you can also repeat it in 2 weeks time to see if there is a change in the report.

During this time, take your wife and child to visit your childs doctor (a paediatrician) and get details on how we can prevent transmission of the infection.

Hope this helps.