Had Health check up done. Have elevated SGPT, SGOT and cholesterol. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Hi, I just got my Health check up done. I am 40 yrs aged adult with 5 ft 10 and 1/2 inch height and weight of 85 kg.cholestrol - 235, Triglycerides- 208, SGPT -92.50 and SGOT -52.90 U/l.Pls. suggest and advise regarding lowering of SGPT/ SGOT and cholestrol level.

Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The most common reason of elevated Cholesterol level and liver tests is diet. Due to increased fat intake it appears in the blood stream and starts to deposits in the liver. Due to elevated LDL fraction of the cholesterol in the blood stream (LDL is a lipoprotein which transports cholesterol from blood stream to the tissues) it also deposits in the vessels walls. This is the main reason of arterosclerosis. This condition leads to heart diseases, hypertension, kidneys failure and strokes.

That is why, its quite important to have low cholesterol level (or high HDL and low LDL). Your liver tests are only slightly elevated. To decrease your cholesterol level and improve liver condition you should improve your diet first. Please avoid fatty foods, fried foods, spicy foods, alcohol and do not take too much pain killers. Add to your diet fiber XXXXXXX products, olive oil, fresh vegetables, nuts. Increase mineral water intake. Instead of red meat try chicken and fishes. You may also get margarine with sterols. Such margarine helps with cholesterol lowering.

Next liver tests and cholesterol should be done after about a month.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had Health check up done. Have elevated SGPT, SGOT and cholesterol. Suggest? 14 hours later
Dear Dr.,

My Bilirubin- Direct is 0.21. So, its very much clear that the [roblem is with the liver. What should u say about atorvastatin to lower cholestral, sgpt-sgot level along with brisk walking as daily exercise and diets XXXXXXX with anti-oxidants, fiber and low fat content and lots of juices and water.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Why do you think the problem is with the liver? Your direct bilirubin is fine (should be no more than 0,4 mg/dl). Only a little part of direct bilirubin appears in the blood stream. Most of it is secreted to the bile ducts and intestines. That is why the stool is brown.
Your liver function is fine. You need to know that even when there is only 1/3 of healthy liver, its function is still regular and no symptoms are present.
You may have fatty liver. But this does not disturb liver function and does not cause bilirubin changes.

Atorvastatin is not necessary in your case. Please try diet first. In most of the cases it helps and medicines are not necessary.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Had Health check up done. Have elevated SGPT, SGOT and cholesterol. Suggest? 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,

From time immemorial I have been going to the loo almost 3-4 times in a day and also the consistency of the stool always remains to be semi-solid state. After my lunch I used to take siesta for a while , but i feel lke in-digestion and used to go to stool in the evening . The morning breakfast and dinner part is ok as it gets digested easily. I have the tendency to feel the stomach un-limited , which i suppose I exert too much of intake which the body cannot absorb. Pls. suggest as to the diet plan and the things to avoid.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
OK, so this is just another issue. Such symptoms (frequent semi-solid stools) can be caused by chronic bacterial infection of intestines. Other possible reasons are hypothyroid, chronic pancreas inflammation, diet, food allergy.
As the stools problem is for a long time, it is strongly advisable to check your stool for bacteria colonization. In case of chronic bacterial infection, you should try Rifaximine treatment (should be prescribed by your doctor). Probiotic is also advisable.
If no relief, allergy tests should be considered.
Please follow diet mentioned in previous answers. Additionally avoid milk and dairy products.

Hope this will help.