Had HPV and bad strain. Had oral sex frequently. Throat checkup needed?

ENT Specialist
I just found out my girl friend of the last year and half has hpv.. and supposedly a bad strain. I have had oral sex with her frequently. Should I get my throat checked?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should get your throat checked.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a complete evaluation done by an ENT Specialist.

2. If there is any lesion in the throat, and it is causing anxiety, get a radio-frequency ablation done. A piece of this tissue may be sent for HPE (Histopathologoical Examination) and HPV tests which will settle the issue. Check any for any precancerous changes in the tissue and for HPV types which are related with an increased incidence of cancer.

3. There are bound to be throat related symptoms in cases of throat HPV infections. Do you have any symptoms such as pain on swallowing (odynophagia), difficulty swallowing (dysphagia), sensation of a lump in the throat, a change in voice (hoarseness), lymph node enlargement in the neck or non-healing sores?

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.