Had HIV test. What does the result say?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi Dr.
I have went for a Tri Dot Test for HIV after 5 weeks of possible exposure and the result was non reative, also i went for a HIV-1 DNA Detector PCR Test after 6 weeks and the result was Not Detected.
Following are the details of the Test

Test Method(s)
HIV DNA DETECTOR-DNA Polymerase Chain Reaction

How accurate is this result post 6 Weeks Mark?

As per the information i have My Tri Dot at 5 weeks and DNA Test at 6 weeks can be considered conclusive. However just for the sake of guidelines i will be going for a test again at 12 weeks mark.

Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV testing strategies

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic.

I have gone through your query and I understand your concern regarding HIV test results.

Your HIV test results seem to be conclusive of being HIV negative.

Tridot test is one of the screening tests which has to be confirmed by either ELISA or western blot test.

PCR is also a very specific test and can confirm the HIV status.

I would suggest an ELISA for HIV antibodies 1 and 2 at 12 weeks to confirm the negative status.

This is according to the suggested strategy by NACO guidelines where three tests are done to confirm the HIV status.

At least two consecutive results should be negative to announce that person as HIV negative.

I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.

Follow-up: Had HIV test. What does the result say? 20 minutes later
Hi Dr.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I would be going for the ELISA test at 12 weeks.

However i just wanted to confirm if the PCR test i did for HIV DNA is of any good or not?

For now i am assuming i am not infected as i am not having any symptoms of ARS (except weight loss)

I would also like to ask you if i need to go for a PCR RNA TEST ?
What is the difference between PCR HIV DNA TEST and PCR RNA Test?
How accurate is PCR HIV DNA test at 6 weeks mark.

Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

The PCR test for HIV DNA you have undergone is conclusive of HIV status as this test can detect as less as 10 nanograms of HIV DNA.

Coming to your symptoms, weight loss is considered significant weight loss if more than 5% of total body weight is lost in past 30 days.

So if you have lost that much weight then I would suggest a detailed examination by a GP nearby you to rule out causes of this weight loss.

There is no necessity to undergo PCR test again, ELISA test would suffice.

PCR is polymerase chain reaction which works on the principle of amplifying either DNA or RNA and making them detectable.

Here specific DNA or RNA is looked for and even minute quantities can be amplified for easy detection.

HIV is a RNA virus which has an unique property of converting its RNA into DNA and incorporating that DNA into the patient's cells. This newly formed DNA is called proviral DNA which is detected by HIV DNA PCR.

HIV RNA PCR detects the HIV RNA directly.

PCR HIV DNA test is good enough at 6 weeks.

I hope I have cleared all your doubts.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.