Ask a Urologist   »  

Had ESWL treatment, in pain and passed stone. Have sensitive and painful ribs, feels bruised and back pain

Urologist
Question
Hi DR. I had eswl treatment a week ago yesterday. I am in pain . It feels like my left side is swelling (inside ) none visible outside and I passed the stone that day after the procedure. My rib is sensitive to touch very painful feels bruised/ broken and I have some back pain. Is this normal?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
ESWL can cause such pain due to muscle and rib inj

Detailed Answer:

ESWL can cause such pain due to muscle and rib injuries.
You need pain killers orally and locally.
Also you may take anti-inflammatory agents like Ibu profen.
Rest to the part is essential and you may apply local warmth also to ease the pain.

Follow-up: Had ESWL treatment, in pain and passed stone. Have sensitive and painful ribs, feels bruised and back pain 2 hours later
Ok, but I never had any rib injuries before I had eswl treatment, does that still matter? can it still cause rib pain(eswl treatment) It goes almost into my shoulder the pain. I just want to make sure Thatthe pain I'm experiencing is normal from having that treatment.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rib injury is a known,rare complication of ESWL.

Detailed Answer:
The pain is due to the shock waves hitting the rib on the way to the kidney and should subside with pain killers and anti-inflammatory agents as i wrote earlier.
Pain also can be relieved by application of warmth.
Wish you early recovery.