Had D and C And diagnosed to have chronic cervicitis with squamous metaplasia. Meaning?

I had a D & C in February of this year. I never heard from the doctor that did this procedure but yesterday while visiting my primary care Dr. she looked up the results and one of the diagnosis said : Chronic cervicitis with squamous metaplasia. What does this mean exactly?

Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 45 minutes later

Chronic cervicitis means that there was some infection in the cervix. It's common and you need not be worried about that. But the squamous metaplasia means that there were cellular changes in the sample taken for the D&C. Cellular changes can occur due to infection , hormonal changes and malignancy . This does need to be followed up. Its important to know from your doctor whether these changes are still present . I suggest you get a pap smear test done at the earliest . It will show the state of the cervix and if any cellular changes persist . Also and ultrasound would be helpful to note the endometrial thickness .

Hope, this answers.