Had CVA acute lacunar stroke. Only affected and retained sound of speech. Has upset stomach. Suggest?

Nov 2013

My husband had a CVA acute lacunar stroke. It only affected the sound of his speech slightly but he retained all of his speech and coordination, with no aphasia. However,, he is so tired and he has an upset stomach every single day. Could this be a by product of the stress on his system of the stroke?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I am glad to note that your husband had very little symptoms after stroke. Most importantly, he only had mild dysarthria, but no aphasia.

Regarding his current symptoms, they could be related to stress, and also depression, as both are common during the periods following stroke (post-stroke depression).

Aspirin, a blood thinner may cause acidity and heart burn at times. Aspirin is commonly given to stroke patients to prevent stroke.

Your husband may benefit from counseling and antidepressants (if needed).
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist