Had CT scan of lower abdomen. Had total hysterectomy and uterus was removed. Is it necessary to go for colonoscopy?

I have had a CT scan of the lower abdomen/GI tract every 6 months since March 2012. Is it necessary to have a colonoscopy, too? I am a 71 year old female, have had a total hysterectomy, had a small section of one ovary left after other ovary and uterus removed in 1977. This section had developed a very large, but benign, tumor that had entwined much of the intestine.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Your medical history suggests that you have been having regular CT scan of lower abdomen following right kidney and ovary surgery as a part of clinical follow up.

Colonoscopy is a test that allows your doctor to look at the inner lining of your large intestine camera (rectum and colon). A flexible tube called a colonoscope is used to look directly at the colon lining. A colonoscopy helps find ulcers, colon polyps, tumors, and areas of inflammation or bleeding. During a colonoscopy, tissue samples can be collected (biopsy) and abnormal growths can be taken out. Colonoscopy can also be used as a screening test to check for cancer or precancerous growths in the colon or rectum (polyps).

As the colonoscopy investigation is unique in directly visualising the inside of the colon, it gives more information than a CT scan of the GIT. CT colonoscopyis also being regularly done in many hospitals but there are grey areas where the conventional colonoscopy scores over it.

Doing colonoscopy in those older than 70 years of age with no significant past history of disease is usually not indicated. However, with previous history of tumors, I guess your doctor wants you to get colonoscopy done to screen your lower GIT.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor